Tuesday, February 15, 2011

In Loving Memory of Jim Knudson

I am breaking from my blogging challenge today to honor the loss of a wonderful man.



I feel like I barely touched the surface of getting to know Jim. He is my very best friend's father, but since he lived in Washington, getting to see him didn't happen often. But, I know his daughter. I know that outstanding job he did raising her, and I honor and respect that.

Jim was a lover of all. He respected all people and creatures. He loved nature and recognized the hand of God in all of creation. He was funny. When he laughed, he laughed heartily. He tried to stand up for what's right in the world and to teach those he knew to do the same. This includes his 2 wonderful children, his adorable grandchildren, and the countless students who pass through the halls of the Jesuit high school he was a counselor at. Jim found beauty in art, in theater (especially musical theater), and in family. He was a stand up guy! He was a real gem, if you will...ha! Gem...Jim. He would have thought that was funny.

So, while I didn't know him well, I loved him very much. And I love his family very much. And my heart aches for the loss they are suffering.

To my Kiki, if you read this, your dad was outstanding. But always remember that the very best parts of you are rooted in him and your mom. You will carry him with you always as you begin to conquer the world. Everything you do, you do with love and passion and respect. And all of that speaks to the love and passion and respect your dad instilled in you. I know it seems impossible to move forward without his gentle guidance to lead you, but he is with you always in your heart. It only takes a moment to listen to your heart and know what he is telling you. Ultimately that message is always the same: "I love you!"

1 comment: