Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 02- A picture of something you cannot live without.


Water is a curious substance. It is simultaneously life sustaining and life threatening. It evokes peace and calm as easily as it conjures up powerful destruction. Perhaps that is why I am so enthralled by it. Not only can I not live without it in the simple way that no one can live without water. But I believe I could not live unless water had a dominant place in my entire life. OK, perhaps could not live is a bit over dramatic. But, my life would certainly not be as complete.

I have never once lived in a place that was not very near a large body of water. I will say, my current place along the shores of Lake Michigan leave much to be desired because I am, I believe, a salt water girl (or brackish at the very least). But I get over it, and it does the job. Whenever I am feeling down or upset or confused, I need only stare into the seemingly endless waves that flow seamlessly into the horizon and I am instantaneously in a better place. I may not have an answer, but I experience a resolution nonetheless. Why is that? I often wonder.

There is a song I love by Kimya Dawson about giants. She talks about looking up into the sky at the stars and realizing how absolutely teeny tiny she is compared to the vastness of the universe. I think I get that same feeling in water. Looking out and seeing nothing but water that flows right to the ends of the earth reminds me of how small I am in the grand scheme of things. And yet at the same time, it reminds me of how united I am with all those around me, all of creation in fact. This undeniable connection to everything I can see and not is my driving force in life. Only with that connection can my insignificant self be made significant.

"I am grounded, I am humbled, I am one with everything." - Kimya Dawson

No comments:

Post a Comment