Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 19- Nicknames you have & how or why you have them.

This is perhaps one of my favorite subjects, because I love nicknames. And I have lots of them. Some of my favorites include:

Coleslaw, but you already know how I got that one.

Oddly enough, and slightly but not exactly related, in high school one of my nicknames was Mamma Cabbages. Cabbage...Coleslaw...hehehehe! Apparently coles in Spanish means cabbages. Once my friend Erin found that out, it was the end. A nick name was born.

My mother calls me Sarah Beth, because Elizabeth is my middle name. It's actually more like Sarahbeth, one word. A few additional people have caught on to this name and call me it as well.

My brother calls me Little Bit. When I was a small child I couldn't pronounce Elizabeth, so I introduced myself as Sarah Littlebit. It's also how I got my email sarahlilibit.

There are two adorable 11 year olds, who when they are feeling cute and in the mood call me Rah Rah. They used to call me it all the time, but are apparently too old for that now. But once in a blue moon they call me that again. It warms my heart. That came about because my mother's nickname was Na Na, because she was one of their godmothers. They couldn't call her Nanny because they already had one of those, so she chose Na Na. And she used to hold them as babies and go Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na for hours. So, I decided to do the same: Rah Rah Rah Rah Rah Rah. It worked. They knew our names early on.

Scoles is pretty popular, for somewhat obvious reasons. And many times other words come off of scoles: scoliosis was one particularly tragic attempt. But one and only one person in this world is allowed to call me that!

Gobby used to call me Pooh Bear. My nursery was done up entirely in Pooh Bear prints (it was the sale item at Sears before I was born). She started calling me that at birth and it never really went away. Nothing better than being called Pooh Bear when you're 27 years old. I miss that.

My other grandmother used to call me Sarah Lissy. And if you knew my grandmother you can imagine the squeaky tone which she used when saying it. Ah memories!

Historically, there have been many, many, many others, but sadly not so many are coming to mind right now. But chances are, if you come up with a good nickname and have a good reason for calling me it, I will respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment