Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 04- List 15 songs that represent your life’s soundtrack.

When approaching the somewhat monumental feat of condensing my life into 15 songs, I found the need to get a bit creative with it. I decided on a somewhat chronological list starting with childhood.

When I was a kid, my music tastes were formed early by the fact that my parents both love music and we always had music playing in the house. My early tastes pretty much consisted of a variety of 60's and 70's rock and singer/songwriters. The more complicated the instrumental parts, the better. We're an air instrument playing family. It's like the Von Trapp Family Singers...only better!

1. The Beatles "A Day In The Life"


2. Elton John "Funeral For A Friend"


3. Carole King "Beautiful"



Around the Time of Middle School, I begain to form some of my own tastes. And as any good 7th grader in 1995 would, I loved anything by Alanis Morisette. My particular favorite was:

4. Alanis Morisette "Ironic"


I also had a strange love for some harder rock of the late 80's/early 90's. And MTV made me fall in love with this song:

5. Guns N' Roses "November Rain"



But I couldn't quite shake some of my parents tastes. Especially when my desire to be who I am and to be left the hell alone was states so beautifully in:

6. Billy Joel "My Life"



In high school, was introduced to the yummy goodness that is Cowboy Mouth, and my life has never been the same!

7. Cowboy Mouth "Jenny Says"



Going to college changed my world in many way. One of the biggest perhaps is that I moved to Alabama, a world unto it self! So, I can't possibly have a life soundtrack without this song:

8. Lynyrd Skynyrd "Sweet Home Alabama"



And college also brought on a deep and profound love for all things U2, particularly the album "All That You Can't Leave Behind". SHAPe would not have been the same without it.

9. U2 "Beautiful Day


10. U2 "Walk On"



August 2005, Hurricane Katrina, this song became our anthem and will hold a special place in my heart forever more.

11. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers "Refugee"



Moving to Chicago in 2006 both gave me a love for a new city and a stronger desire than ever to return back where I belong. It also gave me the opportunity to see "Wicked" 6 times, which was pretty kick ass.

12. Frank Sinatra "Chicago"


13 Wicked "Defying Gravity"


14. ZZ Top "Jesus Just Left Chicago"


15. Louis Armstrong "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans"




And just because I don't know how to follow the rules, I'm adding a 16th. I mentioned this song in my post 2 days ago. It pretty much sums up my spirituality and my approach to life, so I felt the need to add it.

16. Kimya Dawsom "I Like Giants"

2 comments:

  1. Sweet Home Alabama came on my iPod this morning and it made me miss SHC SO much. I'm homefully returning "home" in April for homecoming.
    -Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse me, don't I get any credit in shaping your musical life??!!

    ReplyDelete