Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sarah and Oscar's Excellent Roadtrip! Day 5


Day Five - Go Blue and other Ann Arbor goodies


This shot was actually taken last night, but it fit better with the blog today. Although it's unclear, the water tower says Ann Arbor. I suppose that's a big duh, but who knows some of my space cadet readers may not have been able to figure out why I put it here.

Anyway, as promised, last night I was in bed very early last night, and therefore up quite early this morning. I sprung out of bed feeling like a new woman around 7:15 this morning. And Oscar was hungry. So, we got ready, and headed for downtown. We spent some time in a small coffee shop. Breakfast was light, because we knew what we were in for for lunch (hold your horses, you'll see in a bit). Oscar was quite insistent that since it's Sunday, we needed to find a church. I was excited to try the student parish for U of Michigan. It was a lovely chapel and a nice community. We felt right at home.

After church, we immediately attempted to find the famed Zingerman's Deli. Three different people I know told me to go there when they found out I was going to Ann Arbor. Totally not a wasted trip!


I was totally gonna take a picture of my Reuben Sandwich, but I devoured it so quickly there wasn't a shot of getting a picture taken! Again, totally not a wasted trip. Check the full photo album for pictures of the inside. I was quite overwhelmed!

After eating that sandwich, we needed to work some of that off. So, we took a lovely walk around downtown Ann Arbor. We stumbled upon a street festival, tons of cool shops and restaurants, and eventually made our way up to the U of MI campus. I know one thing and one thing only about University of Michigan, and that is to say "Go Blue!" to cheer on their football team. Thank you to my friend Jerry for teaching me that one. So, the only stop I wanted to make on the campus was Michigan Stadium. After hiking for what seemed like forever, we eventually found it, and as luck would have it, the exact shot I was looking for was available. I wanted was a big blue M for Oscar to take his picture in front of. And there it was!


And I'm not gonna lie, after walking around in 80 degree temps and full sun, climbing hills and all, on a very full belly, I was tired! Luck struck again...U of MI has an art museum that is open 7 days a week! Score on cheap chance to cool off and rest a bit. Oscar was sad that there was no Central American art. We spent most of our time in the Contemporary Art section. I loved it, but Oscar didn't care for it too much.


After a bit more exploring, we discovered one of the greatest finds ever! State Street has a Ben and Jerry scoop shop!!!




Oscar wanted to just get a small cup of vanilla, but I convinced him otherwise. There was no way in hell I was letting him go to Ben and Jerry's for a small cup of vanilla! Waffle Cone Sunday it is!








The rest of the day was rather uneventful. More time spent in a coffee shop reading, dinner at the Prickly Pear (also recommended to me by several, also worth the trip) and back to the hotel to pack and prepare for another very long day of driving tomorrow.

Ann Arbor, it's been great; Philadelphia, watch out, we're coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment