Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sarah and Oscar's Excellent Roadtrip! Day 1




Have you met my friend Oscar? No? Well, meet him now.


This is my friend Oscar. I love him a lot. I love him for myriad reasons. He did some pretty awesome things and said some pretty inspirational words to help the Salvadoran people during the 70's and 80's. And that's all great, but not truly why I love him the way I do.

2 1/2 years ago, while cleaning out an office at St. Teresa's, Erica and I found this framed picture of Oscar Romero. We put it aside in my office for safe keeping. A few days later, Erica was having a particularly bad day, and she found the picture sitting on her desk chair with a post it note attached to it saying "Smile Sunshine! Oscar Loves You!" It brightened her day so much that a tradition was formed.

Throughout the past 2 1/2 years, Oscar has traveled back and forth between the two of us sharing his intrepid words of wisdom - sometimes thoughtful and profound and sometimes just downright ridiculous! But he has become an incredibly important part of our lives.

Upon my departure, Erica decided that Oscar hates winter just as much as we do (perhaps more) and he wanted to return to warmer climates too. So, armed with a full take of gas and a juiced up iPod, Oscar and I hit the road yesterday. My blog over the next three weeks will capture our many wonderful adventures.



Day 1: The Drive Begins

Sarah made the somewhat horrid decision to consume far too many cups of coffee at breakfast. So, during the 4 1/2 hour road trip to Door County, the Caravan had to stop no fewer than three times for her to pee. But all in all a rather uneventful drive. Here are some snapshots of Oscar:





























We're staying at a resort overlooking what I guess is Sturgeon Bay, and most of the afternoon was spent planning the many adventures we'll have for the next two days. I did stop to enjoy the sunset though. GLORIOUS!!!




















At the end of the day I received some potentially excellent news and some potentially very sad news. More details to come on those as they become available. But just know that life has been a whirlwind!


But many more adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment