Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sarah and Oscar's Excellent Roadtrip! Day 4


Day Four - The Scenic Route, Michigan Style!

I was initially afraid that having a day full of nothing but driving would leave me at a loss for words for my blog. I know, I know...me...at a loss for words...it's almost comical! But despite my fears, I actually have so many fun things to report that I don't know where to begin! So, here goes.

I guess I will start by simply saying that I am positively exhausted! I woke up at 5 AM CDT, and arrived at my hotel in Ann Arbor at 5:30 PM EDT. That's 11.5 hours of driving for my time calculating dysfunctioned friends. I do believe I shall hit the sack shortly after this blog is posted.

Here are a few shots of the start of the trip:



Oscar says, "Buckle up! Let's get this party started!"

As we left Sturgeon Bay, the sunrise was quite catching.













But, on to our adventures. When I decided to make this road trip, I knew I wanted it to be just that - an adventure. The thought of leaving beautiful Door County and retracing my steps through Chicago to go east was mind numbing. So, I decided to take the scenic route. Several people told me I was crazy because it would take me a lot longer that way, but I think they're crazy if they would pass up the chance to see some of the sights I got to see today in order to save 2 hours worth of driving! The scenic route from Door County to Ann Arbor involves traveling north first over the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and then down I 75. Below is a map centered on the adventure thus far. If you move it around though, you can get a sneak peak of the adventures to come!



View Road trip in a larger map

Oscar was quite excited to check another state off of his list:


For anyone who knows me very well at all, you know I have a very strong affinity for water. You can reference the entire blog post I wrote on the matter here. Well, today gave me plenty of opportunities to thoroughly enjoy my favorite substance. And Oscar was right by my side:



Not only did we get to revel in the beautiful awesomeness of Lake Michigan from just about every angle, but our newfound obsession with lighthouses was also greatly rewarded. Apparently they are everywhere! Ok, this first one is not REALLY a lighthouse. But if I had a house shaped like a lighthouse, I would want people and/or photos of twenty year dead Archbishops to stop and take pictures in front of it all the time!
































Once we drove through the entire Upper Peninsula of Michigan, we had the pleasure (I use that term very loosely) to cross the Mackinac Bridge. I just learned that this is the third longest suspension bridge in the world. It's also the A Number One scariest thing I've ever driven over. I'll take a daily commute over the Huey P. Long while it's under construction before I drive over that thing again! And Oscar agrees! For starters, it's very high up. And we all know how I feel about heights (despite the gorgeous pictures I posted of my climbing adventures two days ago, I do not like being very high in the air.) Second, the rail on the side of it...not very high up. It was far to easy for me to see the height to which I was rising over the water from the peripheral of my eyes. Not. Okay. Lastly, it was under construction, down to one lane, and there were a lot of very large vehicles surrounding me. All in all, a wholly unpleasurable experience! But, from the safety of the other side, it is quite a lovely bridge to take pictures of:


One other noteworthy adventure started here:


Apparently Big Boys still exist?!?! I was distinctly under the delusion that this was a fad of the past, and I would never be able to say I ate at a Big Boys. But, in truth, its just that I haven't spent nearly enough time in Michigan. Because they are EVERYWHERE here! I was slightly disappointed that I had just eaten breakfast about an hour earlier when we passed this one, therefore it wasn't worth it to go in. But, never you fear, there were about fifteen more to pass on the remainder of the route. And the final one we passed??? Right across the street from our hotel in Ann Arbor! I may or may not be eating my Big Boy take out as I type this blog out! And by may or may not, I mean that I am. And it was good!


And Oscar agrees!

No comments:

Post a Comment